Happy Easter ! Today is Feed your Temptations 1st Anniverasary. Its been a year already. Time flies by so fast. Last year a day after Easter, I launched my blog. Today with more than 100 recipes and my own domain it feels great. To celebrate the anniversary, I present to to a decadent chocolate cake. Its moist and its divine. The addition of coarsely ground walnuts to the batter makes this different and gives it a rich texture. To my vegetarian friends and readers who have been asking for an eggless/vegan cake, here it comes.
Adding the ground nuts makes this a rich chocolate cake. It definitely makes the cake better. Using a greased pan and a not stick paper will hall the cake come off from the pan easily. Its a fool proof method and you don’t have to worry about cake not leaving the pan. Put the pan on parchment paper, draw a circle with a pen and cut circles.
If you want an awesome Chocolate Cake with Egg try this Hershey’s recipe. I bet, this will be a keeper and you may not find a better recipe. I have lost count of how many times I have baked this. Its the same one I have used for the black forest cake. But use any frosting of your choice or eat it plain. Either way you will love it.
- 1 cup 120 grams all purpose flour / maida
- 1/3 cup 35 grams cocoa (For black color use hersheys dark or something similar)
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup 80 ml + 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup 150 grams sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup buttermilk Please refer notes for substitutions
- 1/2 cup coarsely crushed pecans or walnuts I used walnuts
- 4 0 z 113 grams cream cheese
- 2 oz 55 grams unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 2 oz 55g bittersweet chocolate bar (I used lindt 60%)
- 1/2 and 1/8 cup 155 grams confectioners sugar
- 1 cup mini chocolate chips
- Salted caramel sauce Optional
- 2 cup 240 grams all purpose flour / maida
- 2/3 cup 70 grams cocoa (For black color use hersheys dark or something similar)
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup 160 ml + 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 and 1/2 cup 150 grams sugar
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cup buttermilk or almond milk or soy milk + 2 tablespoon distilled vinegar(check notes)
- 1 cup coarsely crushed pecans or walnuts I used walnuts
- 8 0 z 226 grams cream cheese
- 4 oz 110 grams unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoon milk
- 4 oz 110g bittersweet chocolate bar (I used lindt 60%)
- 1 and 1/4 cup 155 grams confectioners sugar
- 2 cup mini chocolate chips
- Salted caramel sauce Optional
- Preheat oven to 350 Degrees Fahrenheit or 175 Degrees Celsius.
- Spray and dust 2 pans with oil and flour. Place the pan on the parchment paper and cut circles and place in the greased pan.
- Whisk all purpose flour + cocoa + baking powder + baking soda + salt and keep aside.
- In another bowl, beat oil + sugar until sugar dissolves, about 2 minutes. Add vanilla extract and mix well.
- Add the flour in three batches alternating with buttermilk, beginning and ending with flour. Add the coarsely ground nuts and stir well.
- Pour in the prepared pan and bake for 35-40 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Let it cool for 10 minutes before transferring onto a wire rack. Frost the cake only when the cake has cooled completely. Placing the cake in the refrigerator for an hour helps to seal the crumbs when frosting.
- Scrape the chocolate with vegetable peeler for chocolate shaving. When you have about 1/4 cup shaving, cut the remaining chocolate into small and even pieces and put in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave for 30 seconds, mix and then microwave again for additional 30 seconds. Some pieces on the top will not be melted, but when you start mixing, it starts to come together.
- You can also melt the chocolate in a double broiler (chocolate in a bowl over boiling water making sure the water doesn't touch the bottom of the pan containing chocolate). Let this cool.
- Add the cream cheese + butter + milk to a bowl and beat well until soft and fluffy.
- Add the confectioners sugar little at a time and mix well. To this add the melted chocolate and mix well. Taste and add more sugar if needed. Once done, cover the bowl tightly and place this in the refrigerator for 30 minutes. Its easier to frost when the icing is set for a while.
- DECORATING THE CAKE:
- Place one layer of cake on the serving plate. Loosely insert plastic wrap or aluminum foil below the cake to reduce the mess. Spread the icing in the center of the cake, place another layer on top and spread the icing again. Also cover the sides. Smooth out the sides. It doesn't have to be perfect since we will be covering the cake with chips and chocolate shavings.
- Take chocolate chips in you hand and press it on the sides gently. Using a spoon, add the chocolate shaving on top of the cake. Drizzle with homemade salted caramel if you need.
You can use this cake for eggless black forest cake. Just don't add ground nuts to the batter. For the dark color of cake, use Hershey's special dark cocoa and for icing and decorations for black forest click here:
Try the decadent chocolate cake with egg. Equally addicting.
Buttermilk substitute: For 1cup (8oz) (240ml) of buttermilk: Add 1 tablespoon of plain vinegar or lemon juice. Fill the remaining cup with milk. Stir and let it rest for 10 minutes.
Buttermilk substitute for Vegans: (almond milk or soy milk + 1 tablespoon distilled vinegar)