My sister is my best friend and also my biggest critique. Needless to say I like both the roles she plays in my life, although I don’t agree to everything she says :). Don’t go on only the rosy part though, we did have our share of fights. Ask our mom and she can fill you in on the arguments over TV channels and dresses.
- 2 cups (approx ½ litre) milk
- ¾ cup condensed milk or to taste
- 5 gram agar agar (Also called china grass) Please ref notes for substitutes
- 60 ml water to soak agar agar
- 1 teaspoon cardamom powder or vanilla extract
- In a saucepan, wash and soak the agar agar in water for 5 minutes.
- In another saucepan bring milk to a simmer. Turn off the heat, add condensed milk and stir well.(Taste and adjust the sweetness by adding more condensed milk or sugar as needed).
- Now place the agar agar on heat and keep stirring until gelatin melts. Keep aside.
- Place the milk back on the heat and add the agar agar mixture into the milk. Stir and let it simmer for another 2 minutes.
- Turn of the heat and strain the mixture through a sieve. Transfer into a serving bowl or molds. Once its cool, place it in the refrigerator. Pudding takes about 3-4 hours to set.
- Serve with hot chocolate sauce or add caramelized nuts on top.
I used the bakers agar agar strands which looks like a mesh. I cut a 10 gram mesh into half and used accordingly.
You can use agar agar powder or gelatin. Follow the instructions on the package for the right quantity.
You can fill the custard into molds and invert it into a serving dish once set.