Tiramisu is an Italian coffee flavored dessert and did you know, Tiramisu means ‘Lift me up’ Or pick me up’?:). A reason why it should be made for special occasions. Since Valentine’s day is around the corner, you might be searching for ideas for the special day. If you want easy and awesomeness in you dessert then look no further. Tiramisu it is.
What makes Tiramisu one of the best desserts around? When mascaporne cheese, heavy cream, coffee and chocolate comes together, it becomes one of the most sexy and elegant desserts. Oh! how could I not mention rum, because thats the best part. You can always switch it with vanilla if you want to stay away from alcohol.
The Lady fingers (Italian: Savoiardi) is dipped in coffee and then layered with a creamy custard usually made of egg and lightly flavored with alcohol . Raw eggs is something which I am not comfortable using and so I made an eggless version.
When making individual serving glasses, cut the ladyfingers in half or depending on the size of the glass.
Add some cream to the bottom of the glass, then add a layer of coffee soaked ladyfingers, layer of cream, another layer of ladyfingers and a final layer of cream.
Cover the glass with plastic wrap with wrap touching the surface of the cream(This prevents condensation) and place it in the refrigerator for at least 3-4 hours.
Before serving, dust the tiramisu with some cocoa powder and garnish with grated chocolate.
Now, Enjoy !
Check out more desserts for Valentine’s Day:
- ½ cup(4oz)(120ml) heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup(80z)(226g) mascaporne cheese
- 2 tablespoons dark rum, brandy, marsala wine(Non-alcoholic version - 1 teaspoon vanilla extract )
- 1 tablespoon + 2 and ½ tablespoons sugar, divided (or to taste)(Ref notes)
- DIPPING: (1 cup strong espresso coffee)
- 1 cup water
- 1 and ½ tablespoons instant coffee granules
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 8 Lady fingers or more as needed (Check notes for eggless substitute)
- cocoa powder for dusting
- grated chocolate (optional)
- Add coffee granules and sugar to water and place it to high heat till the mixture simmers. Turn the heat to low and let it reduce down a little about 2-3 minutes. Take it off the stove and keep it aside to cool completely.
- In a bowl cream together mascaporne cheese + 2 and ½ tablespoons sugar + rum until creamy. Do not overheat or cheese will curdle. Taste and adjust sweetness.
- In another bowl beat heavy whipping cream + 1 tablespoon sugar until stiff peak forms. Add this into the mascaporne cheese and fold gently. Taste and adjust sugar as needed.
- If using small servings, cut the lady fingers into half.
- Add a spoon of cream in the bottom of the serving cup.Take a lady finger, dip it in coffee and immediately place it in the cup, creating one layer. Spoon some more cream on top. Add one more layer of coffee soaked lady fingers. Add the cream.
- Repeat the same process for remaining cups.
- Place a plastic wrap touching the top of the cream. Cover and refrigerate for 3-4 hours. Placing a plastic wrap touching the top of the cream will avoid water from condensation.
- Before serving, sprinkle the top with cocoa powder and chocolate shavings.
Lady fingers substitute-(For eggless version and otherwise): You can add a layer of white cake. Place a thin layer of cake, then drizzle with coffee and then repeat the process. (Alternately you can also cut the white cake or sponge cake into strips and bake for 10 minutes until crisp)
Depending upon the size of the glass or baking dish, you might need more lady fingers.