- 1-3/4 (210g) cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup (75g) dark Cocoa powder (like hersheys special dark)
- 2 cups (400g) sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup (8oz) (240ml) boiling water
- 13 maraschino cherries(This can be used for filling if you like the taste)
- 1, 15 oz(425 grams) can of dark cherries in sweet syrup.(For filling)
- 2 and ½ cups(600ml) ice cold heavy whipping cream
- 5 tablespoon powdered or icing sugar
- 8 oz (160 grams) dark chocolate bar
- ⅓ cup (80ml) kirsch, brandy or rum (optional)
- Heat oven to 350 Degrees Fahrenheit /175 Degrees Celsius. Grease, line and flour two 8-inch round baking pans.
- Whisk together flour + cocoa + sugar + baking powder + baking soda and salt in large bowl. To that, add eggs + milk + oil + vanilla; beat on medium speed of mixer 2 minutes. Add the boiling water to the batter and stir well (batter will be thin). Pour batter into prepared pans.
- Bake 40 to 45 minutes or until wooden skewer inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks. Cool completely before frosting.
- Chill the attachments and bowl needed for whipping the cream for 10-15 minutes. Pour the heavy whipping cream into the bowl. Add the sugar and vanilla extract and beat until almost stiff peaks forms. (Do not over beat or else it will turn to butter and you might have to start from scratch again.).
- Cover the bowl with a plastic wrap and place this in the refrigerator until ready to use.
- Drain the cherries and reserve about ⅓ cup syrup of whichever cherries you like i.e, if you are not using alcohol.
- To start the icing, level the top of the cakes with a serrated knife. Place one cake on the cake plate with the leveled side up. Brush with ½ of the reserved syrup or alcohol.
- Apply a light layer of frosting. Place the cherries in a single layer leaving 1 inch from the edges of the cake empty. (else when you keep the 2nd layer, the cherries will get pushed out) Top with whipped cream.
- Place the 2nd layer on the top of this cake, with the cut side down. Give a gentle press. Top this with the remaining whipped cream. Create some piping design on the edges and put the maraschino cherries.
- Shave the bar of chocolate with a knife or grater. (I used grater for fine shavings on the sides and melon baller for big shavings on the top of the cake).
- Do not touch the shaved chocolate with hands as they tend to stick. Use a spoon to decorate as needed.
Frost the cake only after it cools completely. Its easier to frost the cake if it has been in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
I apply a thin coat of icing called the crumb coat to seal the crumbs and place the cake in the refrigerator before applying the final coat of icing.
Whipped cream is a very light frosting. Refrigerate the cake immediately after frosting or else the frosting will start to melt. Keep it out of the refrigerator 30 minutes before serving.
Its very important not to overbeat the whipped cream or else it will turn to butter and you might have to start from scratch again.
There are few tricks that professionals use to stabilize the whipped cream like adding corn starch or cream cheese to the heavy whipping cream. I am yet to try that.
To get a clean slice, dip a non-serrated knife in hot water, wipe it off nicely and cut the cake.
Cake Recipe adapted from:Hersheys